Whether you need some extra light in your kitchen or just want to add a bit of ambiance to your room.
Installing the best under cabinet LED lighting is one of the easiest things you can do.
LED lights are a great option. They’re bright, energy efficient, and last a really long time.
With these lights, installation is quick, easy, and usually doesn’t require an electrician but you do end up with an upgraded look.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of this style of lighting then learn about some of the best products available.
Table of Contents
- 6 Benefits of LED Under Cabinet Lighting
- Best Under Cabinet LED Lighting 2018
- Best Under Cabinet LED Lighting Reviews
- How to Choose Under Cabinet LED Lighting?
- How to Install Under Cabinet LED Lighting?
6 Benefits of LED Under Cabinet Lighting
If you’re still not sure about LED under cabinet lighting, here are 6 great reasons to give them a try.
1. They’re easy to install. Some kits can be installed using only simple adhesive strips. Just peel, stick, and you’re done! If you want something more secure, most kits also include brackets and mounting screws or nails for something a little more permanent.
2. They’re energy efficient. LED lights last for decades and use only a fraction of the power of normal lighting.
3. They add depth to your room. It’s possible you never really thought about the space under your cabinets before but adding the right lighting can really improve the look of your kitchen.
4. You’ll see better. Not only will they brighten your workspace, but under counter lights also eliminate a lot of shadows. Overall, it helps you stay safer while you’re prepping and cooking food.
5. There are a lot of options available. You can choose different styles, colors, and finishes to match your decor.
6. They last a long time. You don’t have to worry about replacement bulbs. If you use them 12 hours a day, LED lights can last for more than 10 years!
Best Under Cabinet LED Lighting 2018
There are a lot of options when it comes the under cabinet lighting so we found some of the best ones available to help you find one that works for you.
Here are some of the best-LED options on the market today.
|Pictures||LED Under Cabinet Lighting||Wattage||Links|
|Brilliant Evolution Wireless LED Puck Light||0.85 W|
|Albrillo LED Under Cabinet Lighting||24 W/ 6 LED|
|EShine LED Under Cabinet Lighting||18 W/ 4 LED|
|Litever Under Cabinet LED Light Bar Kits||20 W|
|GetInLight Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Lighting||3, 5, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 W|
|LED Concepts Under Cabinet & Closet Linkable LED T5 Light Bar||4, 7, 13, 18 W|
Best Under Cabinet LED Lighting Reviews
1. Brilliant Evolution Wireless LED Puck Light
Brilliant Evolution puck lights each give off 55 lumens of warm natural light. Installation is easy using either adhesive tape or screws if you want something more permanent. Both are included.
One of the best things about these lights is that you can turn them on using a simple remote control and each remote can control up to 12 lights. Each light can easily be turned on manually with a simple tap, too.
Brightness is adjustable using the presets for 50% or 100% power or use the + and – buttons to adjust to the brightness of your choosing.
An automatic timer can turn the lights off after 15, 30, 60, or 120 minutes. Plus, they run on AA batteries with a 100-hour runtime at full brightness.
- Bright natural light
- Easy installation
- Remote control can control up to 12 lights at once
- Automatic shut up timer
- Uses AA batteries, 18 included
- 100 hour run time on full brightness
- Can get hot
- A bit bulky
- Adhesive tape doesn’t always last
2. Albrillo LED Under Cabinet Lighting
One of the best things about these lights from Albrillo is how bright they are.
At full power, each the 6 lights in this set is 300 lumens and every one is equipped with a rotary dimmer switch to customize the light for your space.
Installation is really easy and everything you need is included. You can use the screws and mounts for something more stable or simply apply the adhesive tape and easily press them into place.
These bar-shaped lights can be directly plugged into one another or use the interconnect cables to spread them out a bit and a 4-foot long cord plugs into the closest outlet to provide the main power.
These lights are really sturdy. They’re made of aluminum and plastic and won’t rust or corrode. Plus, they come with a 24-month warranty.
- Exceptionally bright at 300 lumens each
- Easy, versatile installation
- 4-foot long main power cord
- Made of durable aluminum and plastic
- 24-month warranty
- Cables that go from light to light aren’t very long
- Will take up a power outlet in your kitchen
- Each light must be turned on individually
3. EShine LED Under Cabinet Lighting
The unique thing about these under cabinet lights from EShine is that they turn off and on with a simple wave of your hand.
This comes in really handy when your hands are messy from cooking and you don’t want to mess with a remote control.
You can choose from 2 different colors: warm white for a more natural glow or cool white if you need something really bright.
Installation is done using either screws or adhesive tape, both are included as well as all the cords, caps, and connectors you need. Each of these bar-shaped lights is 12 inches long and there are 4 included in this set.
For power, you can either connect them to each other or use connecting cables if you want to spread them out.
- Choose from two different color options
- Hands-free controls
- Easy installation
- 1-year warranty included
- Not dimmable
- Motion sensor can be unreliable
- Not easy to bypass the sensor
4. Litever Under Cabinet LED Light Bar Kits
Next is this kit from Litever. It produces soft, even light without any of the dots you commonly see with LEDs.
Installation is easy and everything you need is included, whether you choose to use adhesive tape or mounting screws and clips.
The main power cord is 3 feet long and each light has a connecting cord that’s about 4 inches in length. Believe it or not, you can arrange these lights so that they run anywhere from around 6 to 12 feet long from end to end!
The dimmer switch can be used to adjust the brightness from 0 to 100 %. It can control all 3 pieces at once or adjusted so it only controls 1 or 2 units.
These lights are made using strong aluminum alloy and durable PC plastic and are covered by a 3-year warranty.
- Easy, versatile installation
- Soft even light
- 3-year warranty
- Instructions aren’t clear
- Adhesive tape installation not always secure
- Rotating dimmer switch can be unreliable
- Can be difficult to bypass the dimmer
5. GetInLight Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Lighting
These light from GetInLight give you a lot of options. First of all, you can choose from 3 different light temperatures: warm white, soft white, and bright white. All you have to do is use the sliding switch and you’ll instantly change the mood of the room.
This kit can be powered by simply plugging the power cord into the wall or there is also a hardwiring option. Everything you need for both are included.
You can choose from 6 different lengths ranging from 12 to 48 inches and 3 different finishes: white, matte bronze, and brushed nickel.
You can also choose between high and low power using a simple switch. Most dimmer switches will also work when the lights are hardwired.
- Various finishes available
- Various lengths available
- 2 different brightness levels
- Each light has 3 different color temperatures
- 5-year warranty
- Hardwire installation can be difficult
- If you use multiple lights, light color may vary
- Not a huge difference between high and low power settings
6. LED Concepts Under Cabinet & Closet Linkable LED T5 Light Bar
LED Concepts T5 Light Bar is an ultra-slim option that clean and simple look compliments any decor.
It’s only about an inch wide, too, so it’s great for small, narrow spaces. Choose from several lengths, including 12, 22, 34, and 45 inches.
Please note that there are packs of 2 available, too, but they have to be installed next to each other because of the connecting cords. As for individual lights, you can link up to 75 of them together if you need something for a larger space.
Installation is simple using the included nails and mounting brackets. Plus, the power cord is 6 feet long so you won’t have any trouble reaching a power outlet.
It’s available in 2 different colors, white or warm white so you can choose the one that best matches your room.
- Great for narrow spaces
- Simple design matches any decor
- Several lengths available
- Can link up to 75 together
- 6-foot long power cord
- 2 different colors available
- 2 packs have to be linked and mounted next to each other
- Each light has to be turned on individually
- Customer service can be difficult to reach
How to Choose Under Cabinet LED Lighting?
When it comes to under cabinet LED lighting, there are a lot of options out there and it can be hard to decide which one is best for your home.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while trying to make up your mind.
1. Style. These lights are available in both puck and linear styles. Linear lights provide more uniform, even light while puck lights create more concentrated beams of light. Puck light as also smaller which makes it a little easier to customize a layout.
Another thing to ask yourself is, do you really want them to match your kitchen perfectly? Most of these lights are white but there are other finishes available, too, like brushed nickel and matte bronze.
2. Power. Battery powered lights are a great choice. Since you don’t have to worry about an outlet, they can be placed just about anywhere. Batteries can be unreliable, though, and you’ll have to have a fresh supply available.
Power cords never run out of juice but they do require an outlet which means you have to be a little more diligent about where you install them. Hardwiring is an option with some under cabinet lighting but would likely require hiring an electrician, which could get costly.
3. Color Temperature. Warm lighting is more suited to ambient lighting and is great for setting the mood. If you want a light that is better for lighting up a workspace, go for something cooler. Or, find a light that lets you do both.
How do you know which is which? Look at the Kelvins. Warm lighting has 2700 and 3500 Kelvins, cool between 3500 and 5000 Kelvins.
4. Amount of Space. Do you have a lot of space under your cabinets for bar lights? Or are puck lights going to be a better option? Some of these lights can get quite large but there are some compact, ultra-thin options available, too.
5. Turning on the Lights. There are a few different options for how you actually go about turning these lights on. The simplest way is with an on/off switch. Other options include remote controls and even motion sensors.
6. Dimmers. Dimmers aren’t necessary but they are certainly a nice thing to have. Some of these lights have dimmers with only a few settings while others allow you to choose between 0 and 100% brightness.
How to Install Under Cabinet LED Lighting?
Installation is pretty simple and they’re all installed in pretty much the same way. Each kit includes everything you need.
There are 2 main types of installation. The first is adhesive strips, the easiest of the two. Adhesive tape works like double-sided tape only it’s thicker and stronger. Remove the backing and place the tape on the light.
Then, remove the other side of the backing and hold the light in place. This tape usually takes some time to cure but, in most cases, it’s pretty reliable.
The other option is to mount the light using brackets and screws or nails. First, decide where you want to lights to go then figure out where the brackets should be installed. To make sure everything is perfectly straight, it’s a good idea to use a level and mark where the brackets should go.
Most kits have brackets that are held in place with a screw. Once they’re all in place, the light should just snap into place on the bracket.
If you are using battery powered lights, you can really install them just about anywhere. For those that use a power cord, make sure you install the light close enough to an outlet so you’ll be able to plug it in.
The only time installation is difficult is if you want lights that are hardwired which is why you should always hire an experienced electrician to do this kind of work.
Under cabinet LED lighting is a convenient, cost-effective, and easy way to add brightness to your kitchen. Whether it’s to draw attention to your granite countertops, give yourself more light to work by, or just add a little bit of mood lighting, under counter lights are a simple solution.
With so many options available, we’re confident that by using the advice in this guide and taking a look at our products reviews that you’ll be able to find the right fit for your home.