Cleaning your fish tank is inevitable. It is crucial that you clean it well so that you do not experience issues with the health of your fish.
Also, a clean aquarium will always have clean and clear water, which is quite attractive.
The best hang on back filters for aquariums have gained popularity over the years.
Many people are now using them, as the installation is easy and they deliver excellent performance.
From the name, we understand that the installation process involves simply clipping the filter onto the back of the aquarium and it is all done.
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Right HOB Filter for Aquarium
- Best Hang On Back Filter for the Money
- Best HOB Filter Reviews
- Hang on back filter FAQ
How to Choose the Right HOB Filter for Aquarium
The Flow Rate
The flow rate is often a deciding factor when the user is choosing whether or not to use a particular model.
Your specific needs for a great filter will vary depending on the aquarium size. It is crucial to get a model that delivers a higher flow rate so that the filtration can go as quickly as possible.
The filtration media is used to remove the impurities from the water. Having more filtration media doesn’t always mean better filtration—rather it is the type of media used that is important.
Even if a model has more filtration media than another, make sure that it uses only the best type and quality of media. There is no need to have filters that might not help with the filtration at all.
Maintenance of the Filter
Cleaning and maintenance are inevitable with any filter. What matters now is the amount of time and effort you will have to spend on doing the maintenance.
Different models have different methods and instructions for cleaning; always choose a model that will be easy to clean and maintain.
In order to try to impress customers, manufacturers often try including new technology into their filters.
The new technology is intended to enhance the functionality of the filter and make it more efficient than other comparable models. You should always take the time to check out the differences between models before you choose which to buy.
Not all brands will always deliver the high level of filtration that users want today. Some brands are known within the filtration industry to be better than others.
You should be looking at brands such as Fluval, AquaClear, Aqueon, and others of their level of quality.
Read reviews about models you’re considering in order to understand more details about what you will be getting with each model.
Best Hang On Back Filter for the Money
|Pictures||HOB Filters||For Aquariums||Links|
|AquaClear Power Filter - 110 V||Freshwater & Saltwater Aquariums|
|Fluval C Power Filter||Freshwater & Saltwater Aquariums|
|Marineland Penguin Power Filter||Freshwater & Saltwater Aquariums|
|MarineLand Emperor Filter Systems||Freshwater & Saltwater Aquariums|
|Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO Aquarium Power Filters||Freshwater & Saltwater Aquariums|
Best HOB Filter Reviews
1. AquaClear Power Filter – 110 V
The model represents a company that has been making the best HOB aquarium filters for some time now. This model is designed to be highly versatile so that it can meet the needs of a variety of users.
In this series, you get five different models that deliver different flow rates. This means that you simply have to choose the one that will work best in your tank.
The unique design incorporated into this model gives it an impressive filtration capacity compared to other models in its category. The use of the flow control technique helps to reduce the effect of the flow in order not to harm the motors or impellers.
The model also comes with a re-circulation grid that allows water to be passed through the filter a second time to ensure that the water quality emerging at the end is the best possible.
The design of the multistage filtration process is crucial to the beneficial bacteria needed for the aquarium. You will no longer have to worry about a sudden depletion in beneficial bacteria.
This should ensure that the biological filtration of the filter remains optimal at all times.
- Installation is quick and easy
- The volume of filtration offered is up to seven times greater than other models
- Its design keeps the biological filtration always at an optimal level
- It has a reduced flow pressure to avoid harm to the motor and impeller
- It makes a grinding sound during operation
- It is not easy to clean and you might just end up breaking it
2. Fluval C Power Filter
When you see that a filtration system comes from Fluval, you know you can be confident that there will be nothing disappointing about it. This model in particular is engineered to have superior features that significantly improve the quality of water it processes.
With the five-stage filtration process, you can always expect an exceptional result in the end. The filter has a larger surface area overall, so that you get a very thorough filtration process.
For those who have delicate fish in their aquariums, this model’s re-filtration system could be just what you need. With the re-filtration system, you now get to control the water flow rate. Controlling the flow rate will not in any way affect the water filtration efficiency.
What you do have is the option to have the water processed through in the filtration chamber multiple times. With this method, you get to filter out more impurities, leaving you with a healthy tank.
Of course, you might have to clean the filter to keep it working properly. The cleaning process should be easy if you have used one of these before.
It is recommended that you clean the impeller cover at least once a year and the motor every three months. Make sure to follow the instructions as given in the manual to get the job done faster.
- A strong water flow
- It comes with a five-stage filtration media for better performance
- The bio media included in the model is easy to clean
- The re-filtration system helps to increase water cleaning efficiency
- The foam pads included need to be replaced every few months
- The crevices in the impeller sometimes make it hard to clean
3. Marineland Penguin Power Filter
Sometimes when you are a beginner aquarium owner, you might discover that the water filter you purchased was not a good choice.
With the Marineland Penguin power filter, even a beginner or hobbyist can handle it perfectly well.
The model comes in four different sizes, so you can choose the one that is perfect for your aquarium. No matter which size you use, this model does an overall superior job, thanks to the bio load included in it.
The leftovers from the fish food and other organic matter will easily disappear in no time thanks to the high-quality filter cartridges. In the end, you will find you have created the best and cleanest environment for the aquarium life.
This model comes with an easy and efficient three-step filtration process, and all three important filtration media are included when you purchase: mechanical, chemical, and biological.
The bio wheel found in this model will give you the beneficial bacteria that is so important for the filtration process to be complete. The tank will now be free from toxic nitrates and ammonia.
- This filter delivers a powerful performance
- It is made using an amazing durable construction
- It has a long operating lifespan
- The biofiltration media is excellent
- The bio wheel feels fragile
- The filter needs more frequent cleaning than comparable models
4. MarineLand Emperor Filter Systems
This model is quite a powerhouse when it comes to the process of aquarium water filtration. It has the capability to handle a flow rate of 400 GPH and is still suitable for an 80-gallon aquarium.
That is a strong indication of the excellence you’re getting here in terms of service delivery. The inclusion of the bio wheel is important in order to deliver water free from any harmful material that could affect the fish and make it sick.
One thing that many people would want to know for sure before buying an aquarium filter is the amount of noise it will make. This model has a low noise level. It is very quiet so that it does not disturb the fish in the aquarium tank.
You still get a revolutionary two-pump design with this model, which means that the flow and filtration rates completely outshine the competition. There is no doubt that if you select this model, your tank will get a quality cleaning job.
The two-pump design is what enables the model to deliver the most gallons of water per hour so you can filter more water in a less time.
- You get two bio-wheels that offer impressive biological filtration
- The high flow rate is in high demand for the bigger aquariums
- It is made to be highly durable and efficient
- The model is quiet when operating
- The spray bars often get clogged with debris, thus preventing the bio-wheels from spinning
5. Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO Aquarium Power Filters
Everyone wants a better filtration process, and that is what you get when choosing this model. It offers you a four-stage filtration process that will always deliver clean and clear aquarium water.
These filtration stages will include passing the aquarium water through mechanical, biological, and chemical filters, and a wet/dry diffuser grid.
With the high flow rates, you can always be sure that the dissolved oxygen will get to the fish in no time. This leads to healthier and more active fish.
This model is also designed with an internal pump, which dampens the noise of operation, eliminates the causes of leaks, and will restart automatically in case of a power interruption.
- Can be used for both freshwater and saltwater aquariums
- It comes with four-stage filtration system for better performance
- It has a higher flow rate to ensure more oxygen is dissolved and delivered to the fish
- The internal pump will help dampen the noise
- It does not have the best durability as it is made from lower quality materials
Hang on back filter FAQ
What’s the best HOB filter for saltwater aquarium?
You could opt for the Aqua Clear Power Filter model.
It is designed to be multifunction, thus can be used in either freshwater or saltwater aquariums. With a multi-stage filtration system, it should be able to easily handle your saltwater aquarium needs.
How to set up hang on back filter?
When you buy a hang-on-back filter, the manufacturer will often send you all the parts needs to assemble it. Usually you will start by assembling the filtration material.
You can start with the bio wheels, and then proceed to the others. Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the sequence of setting up the filtration media.
The next step will be installing the intake sump so that it can suck up the water and deliver it to the filtration media. Mount your filter on the back of the aquarium and get ready to turn it on.
Before you do, you usually will want to fill it with water. This helps avoid the grinding sound of a dry filter. After filling it, you should be ready to turn it on and leave it to do the filtration.
How to clean hang on back filter?
Cleaning the hang-on-back filter could be easy or hard depending on the model. However, there are some common methods that apply to all the models. Here is how you do it:
- Start by unplugging the filter so that you can easily remove it from the back of the aquarium
- Proceed to remove the top lid and take out the filter basket. This is where your filter media is located. You are likely to find a sponge, biological media as beads, and a carbon bag.
- Clean the beads and the sponge in the old aquarium water in a bucket. This should help preserve the materials and make it easier for water filtration the next time.
- Most manufacturers would recommend that you change the carbon bag about every three weeks.
- Check the other parts such as the motor and impeller. Clean them as specified or make replacements whenever necessary. As for the motor, ensure to add a lubricant to keep it working smoothly.
- Proceed to reassemble the filter and hang it on the aquarium again for filtration to continue.
There is no reason why your fish should be suffocating when there is a chance to give them a healthy option today. All the hang on back filters mentioned above will deliver the right amount of filtration to keep the aquarium water clean.
You need to make sure that you choose the one that can handle your aquarium size and the amount of water in terms of flow rate. The best thing to do would be comparing between different models just to make sure it is what you actually need in the end.
Related Buyer’s Guides and Aquarium Adviser Lists: