Hermit crabs make great pets for a few different reasons.
First of all, they come in many beautiful designs and sizes, making them a good addition to the beauty of the tank.
Hermit crabs also serve as natural cleaners of the tank.
They clean up the floor of the tank by eating the leftover food from fish. They also remove the accumulated residue from fish life.
Hermit crabs don’t need much to live happily. A clean environment, good food, and love keep them going. They also require specific water conditions, as they need saltwater to survive.
Hermit crabs need the same level of salinity in their water as saltwater fish. If you’ve never made saltwater before, here’s how you can easily prepare this for your hermit crabs. All you need are a few ingredients.
How to Make Saltwater for Hermit Crabs?
- Clean plastic bucket
- One gallon tap water
- Aquarium tap water conditioner
- Ocean salt from store (Regular salt cannot be used to substitute this. You can buy ocean salt online or at your local fish pet store)
- Begin by ensuring the plastic bucket you’re using is clean and free of any residue from previous use. Add the gallon of tap water in the bucket.
- Once you’ve added the tap water, slowly mix in the aquarium tap water conditioner. This treats the tap water and makes it safe to use for your hermit crabs. Make sure to stir well to properly distribute the solution through the bucket.
- Next, it’s time to add the salt. Carefully add in 1/2 cup of ocean salt to the water. Take time to mix it well with a spoon to ensure there are no clumps or big pieces left.
- The water should be cloudy when you first add the salt in, but this is normal. Keep mixing to thoroughly incorporate the salt and allow it to settle.
- Finally, if your water isn’t room temperature, let it sit for one to two hours to bring it down to a normal temperature. This allows the salt to fully immerse in the water, and also gives enough time for the temperature to change.
After you’ve allowed the water to rest, you can add it to your aquarium. With the water added, you can begin setting up the rest of the tank.
You can add decorations and sand/pebbles as you see fit to make a good environment for your hermit crab to thrive in.
If you don’t want to make saltwater with ocean salt, you can use packages of saltwater mixers. These mixes come pre-treated with conditioner and the correct amount of salt. All you have to do is follow the directions for adding it to the correct amount of water.
It’s important to note the exact measurements when creating saltwater. The minimum amount of water you should have in your tank with hermit crabs is five gallons. Any amount less than that is too little.
Make sure to adjust the salinity of the water according to the amount of gallons you have. You should also adjust to the amount of crabs you have in your tank. These numbers ultimately decide how many gallons and cups of salt you need to add.
As your crabs live in the water, it’s also a good idea to replace a cup or so the water every so often. This helps reduce the smell and keep the water clean for your hermit crabs.
Once you make the saltwater for your hermit crabs once, you can easily remember the process for next time.
Creating this saltwater for your hermit crabs takes some time. But its effects last forever when your crab lives healthily and happily in your aquarium.
How To Make Hermit Crab Salt and Freshwater – Video Guide