Owning an aquarium can be a fun thing to do, but you have to always make sure that it looks great as it is supposed to do. Some people tend to neglect the overall look of the aquarium making it so dirty that people do not want to look at it. Well, it is possible that you can easily clean your fish tank glass to make it more presentable. With all the feeding and excretion by the fish, you can always expect that the glass would get dirty.
Do not be scared about getting your hands a little bit dirty as it is what will get your aquarium looking great. Cleaning the fish tank glass is not a hard job and it can be done within just a few minutes. We get to discuss some of the methods you could use for dealing with dirt on the aquarium glass.
Table of Contents
Cleaning on the outside
If you are going to effectively make your fish tank glass look amazing, then you have to clean both inside and outside. Cleaning on the outside is much simpler than on the inside. You would not have to worry about the cleaning solution affecting the fish. Here is how you clean on the outside of your fish tank glass.
- Using warm water, proceed to wet a soft cloth or some paper towels.
- With your wet cloth, wipe on the outside of the aquarium glass to remove the dirt build up on the glass. If the dirt is stubborn, use a little bit of soap to ensure that it delivers the best cleaning effect.
- You can now rinse the glass with a clean soft cloth to remove the excess soap on the glass from the outside. Leaving any residue of the soap will just end up attracting more dust and dirt in the near future.
As you can see, cleaning on the outside can be simple, it should also be simple too when looking to clean the inside pane.
Using a simple sponge method
You would be surprised to know that cleaning your aquarium glass will need simple tools you have in the house already. You have to buy a foam kitchen sponge. The sponge should not have any scrubbing cleaner added to it. The cleaner might end up scratching the glass if it is present together with the sponge. Here is how you clean the glass with a sponge.
- Remove your fish tank cover to gain better access to the inside glass pane.
- The cleaning is supposed to do gently. Insert your hand gently into the aquarium and reach for the glass. Proceed to slide the sponge up and down to clean the algae and other dirt that might have accumulated on the sides.
- You should avoid any rapid cleaning movements or else you would end up spilling the water over the top making the cleaning be messy.
- Now that you have cleaned the tank, the sponge cannot be reused at a later date to clean the aquarium window again.
Using an algae scraper tool
With the advancement in various fields, then you can expect to find multiple ways of cleaning your fish tank glass. For this part, we get to look at how you can use an algae scraper tool to clean the pane leaving it all clean. The first thing you have to do is find the best algae scraper for your aquarium. A couple of such tools exist today, so take the time to check out several models before opting for one.
Here is how to use an algae scraper.
- Clear the access to your fish tank by removing the tank cover.
- Depending on the amount of algae, you have to choose the best scraper for the job. For the tough algae, consider using the pronged scraper. You would normally be given different attachments depending on the kit that you buy.
- With your pronged scraper, you simply need to slide it up and down on the sides of the fish tank to remove the algae. You will have to maintain slow movements just like in the previous method. Having the rapid hard movement would cause the water to slosh out the aquarium over the top.
- The best part is that you can reuse the scraper, but you have to rinse it in clean warm water.
Whichever method you decide to choose, it is easy to see that they are all easy to use. You have to make sure that you follow the given instructions to make sure that you do not end up scratching the glass. The best to do would be cleaning the glass more often to ensure you do not have to scrub hard each time you clean. You could always check out online resources such as YouTube for additional videos on how to clean the fish tank glass.