Nothing ruins the look of a bathroom like unsightly mold and mildew stains.
If you’ve ever faced this problem, you know that it can be extremely difficult to get tile, tubs, grout, and other surfaces thoroughly clean.
The best mold and mildew removers are easy to apply and get the job done, without any difficult scrubbing or damaging pressure washing. There are a lot of great options out there to choose from.
Table of Contents
- What are Mold and Mildew, and What’s the Difference?
- Where Do Mold and Mildew Grow?
- What are the Effects of Mold and Mildew?
- The 10 Best Mold and Mildew Removers
- Best Mold and Mildew Remover Reviews
- 1. Skylarlife Home Mold & Mildew Remover
- 2. WET & FORGET Moss Mold Mildew & Algae Stain Remover
- 3. Professional Disinfecting Mildew, Virus & Mold Killer
- 4. EcoClean Solutions Mold, Mildew & Algae Remover
- 5. RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
- 6. Tilex 01100 Mold and Mildew Remover
- 7. Marblelife Mold & Mildew Remover
- 8. Spray & Forget Revolutionary Roof Cleaner Concentrate
- 9. Star Brite Mildew Stain Blocker
- 10. X-14 Professional Instant Mildew Stain Remover
- 14 Tips For Removing Mold and Mildew
What are Mold and Mildew, and What’s the Difference?
Mold and mildew look very similar and some people may use the terms interchangeably but they’re actually two very different things. Knowing what makes each unique helps you figure out how to get rid of them and how to prevent them from growing in the first place.
Mildew looks more powdery than mold. It commonly grows in damp areas which makes the bathroom one of the most likely places for it to show up. One thing that you might notice about mildew is it has a distinct scent. In fact, the musty smell often appears before you ever see any mildew growth.
It can be difficult to prevent mildew from growing in places like the bathroom or basement where there’s always a bit of moisture in the air. The good news is that mildew doesn’t pose a serious health threat.
Mold also grows in moist, humid environments but is darker than mildew. It’s usually very dark green but can also appear to be black.
Although both mold and mildew are members of the fungus family, mold can be a much more serious problem. Some molds can be toxic, especially black mold which can lead to long term breathing problems and complications.
Where Do Mold and Mildew Grow?
Mold and mildew are both fungi and like warm, moist environments. They can grow on tiles, wallpaper, wood, cardboard, fabric, drywall, and even insulation. It’s also pretty common to find mold and mildew on boats and other objects in and around water.
It’s important to take care of mold and mildew growth quickly, mold in particular. Mold colonies grow quickly and digest organic material so they can cause a lot of damage to your home.
Most homeowners face mold and mildew in the bathroom, kitchen, or basement which are somewhat easily treated and prevented. But mold and mildew problems can be quite significant, particularly after a flood or leaks in the roof or plumbing.
In any case, remember that mold and mildew grow quickly – within 24 to 48 hours of exposure to moisture. That’s why when you see them, you have to act fast to get them under control.
What are the Effects of Mold and Mildew?
When it comes to the effects of mold and mildew, there are two things to consider. The first is the damage they can do to your home.
Mold can be particularly destructive because it grows fast. It eats the organic materials in whatever it’s growing on, permanently damaging them and spreading more and more.
The other thing to consider is the health effects of mold and mildew. Mildew can cause mild respiratory problems and some people are sensitive to mold and may experience sneezing, coughing, or a rash. But mold can be quite serious, depending on the type.
Some research has shown that large amounts of black mold can cause serious health problems with repeated exposure, including memory loss, mood changes, and aches and pains. Research is not conclusive, though, if the black mold is actually responsible for these changes.
That said, why take the chance? If you see mold or mildew, take care of it right away before the problem spreads and gets worse.
Luckily, we’re here with some great product recommendations to help you do just that.
The 10 Best Mold and Mildew Removers
It’s important to take care of mold and mildew to preserve the look of your home as well as prevent any potential health issues. That said, cleaning it might seem like an overwhelming task.
Here are some of the best cleaning products out there to help you get rid of stains quickly and easily.
|Pictures||Mold, Mildew Removers||For Use on||Links|
|Skylarlife Home Mold & Mildew Remover||Tiles, Windows, Sinks, Baths, Shower-heads, Pool and more|
|WET & FORGET Moss Mold Mildew & Algae Stain Remover||Virtually any Outdoor Surface|
|Professional Disinfecting Mildew, Virus & Mold Killer||Hard Surfaces: Bathrooms, Floors, Walls, Tables, Chairs, Metal, Steel, Porcelain|
|EcoClean Solutions Mold, Mildew & Algae Remover||Any Surface|
|RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover||Any Surface|
|Tilex 01100 Mold and Mildew Remover||Tile, Grout, Toilets, and Fiberglass|
|Marblelife Mold & Mildew Remover||All Stone & Tile Surfaces|
|Spray & Forget Revolutionary Roof Cleaner Concentrate||All Exterior Surfaces|
|Star Brite Mildew Stain Blocker||Fiberglass, Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Fabric, and Painted Surfaces|
|X-14 Professional Instant Mildew Stain Remover||All Sorts of Work Surfaces|
Best Mold and Mildew Remover Reviews
1. Skylarlife Home Mold & Mildew Remover
This mold and mildew remover from Skylarlife is a thick gel that’s ideal for tiles, grout, and sealant. Application is simple, just remove the seal, replace the cap, and squeeze the concentrated formula directly onto the surface.
One of the best things about this product is that the gel clings to the surface without dripping so it stays in place, right where you need it. It targets mold and mildew without any scrubbing and works great on inclined and vertical surfaces.
This is one of the only gel products we found so if you’re looking for something with precise application that won’t run, this one is your best bet. It’s particularly suited for grout because you can really get the product right where the problem is and know it will stay in place.
For best results, apply a layer of gel about 3mm thick and allow to sit for at least five hours. If you’re dealing with really stubborn mold and mildew, leave it for up to eight hours. Then, rinse off to see your results – no scrubbing required.
2. WET & FORGET Moss Mold Mildew & Algae Stain Remover
Next up is this stain remover from WET & FORGET. This concentrated formula is cost-effective and super convenient. It’s bleach-free, non-acidic, non-caustic, and gentle enough to use on just about any surface. Plus, it works without scrubbing, rinsing, or power washing.
Application is simple, just dilute and apply using a pump-up garden sprayer and wait. That’s it! This product works gently over time and may require more than one application. It’s safe to use around landscaping and plants, too.
This product covers between 750 and 2250 square feet and makes about six gallons in all. Plus, it has an unlimited shelf life and so you don’t have to worry about an expiration date. If you notice regrowth down the line, you already have what you need to take care of it.
Note that this product is designed for outdoor use which makes it ideal for vinyl siding, tarps, outdoor carpets, porch furniture, and more. Since it is applied with a pump sprayer, you can cover large areas at one time.
3. Professional Disinfecting Mildew, Virus & Mold Killer
This commercial-grade cleaner from EcoClean Solutions works on hard surfaces like bathroom floors and walls as well as things like tables and chairs. It’s also effective on steel and porcelain and tough enough to eliminate the worst messes. Plus, it leaves behind a fresh lemon scent.
Not only does this product work with mold and mildew, but the manufacturer also claims it’s effective against different types of bacteria, including E Coli, salmonella, and more. This one is perfect for areas with a lot of people, including nursing homes, schools, office buildings, and hotels.
Best of all, it comes with a 30-day hassle-free money-back guarantee. If you aren’t happy, they’ll refund your money in full, no questions asked. If you are satisfied, you’ll be happy to know that this one-gallon bottle of super concentrate should last a long time.
4. EcoClean Solutions Mold, Mildew & Algae Remover
This one-gallon bottle of mold and mildew remover from EcoClean works even against stubborn buildup and eliminates mold, mildew, and algae in minutes. Best of all, you don’t have to scrub anything. Just apply, wait, and rinse.
One of the best things about this product is that it works on any surface, including brick, concrete, stainless steel, wood, and more. Plus, it’s ready to use so you don’t have to worry about diluting it. Just use the sprayer to apply and wait. Then, rinse clean to see results.
That’s not all, because this product contains bleach; it’s effective at eliminating other dirt and grime to leave your kitchen, bathroom, or outdoor deck looking good as new.
5. RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
If you’re looking for something that works fast, RMR-86 promises results in as little as 15 seconds. This formula is ready-to-use so all you have to do is spray it on and wait. You may even see the stain disappear right before your eyes.
This formula is so powerful; it’s actually five times stronger than contractor brands. It works on a wide range of surfaces, including concrete, drywall, tile, and grout. It’s also really effective on wood, restoring it to its original look.
Note that this mold and mildew is so strong, it can discolor some metals and fabrics and shouldn’t be used on copper, aluminum, and steel, for example. This product isn’t safe to use around children or pets and you have to use PPE when applying. But, it’s extremely effective against even the toughest stains.
6. Tilex 01100 Mold and Mildew Remover
This Tilex formula is made by Clorox, a trusted name when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting. So, it’s no wonder their mold and mildew remover is so effective. Plus, the bottle’s Smart Tube technology makes sure nothing goes to waste.
If you’re looking for a simple formula you can use around the house, this product is powerful and effective, giving you results quickly and without scrubbing. Use it on glazed tiles, sinks, bathtubs, shower doors, no-wax floors, and more.
One of the great things about Tilex is that it also works against most common household bacteria, including strep, staph, and the fungus that causes Athlete’s Foot. It’s a great choice for keeping your bathroom clean and your family healthy.
7. Marblelife Mold & Mildew Remover
Sometimes, mold and mildew appear in places where you’re not comfortable using a really caustic cleaner with strong chemicals. It’s a tough call – you want to get your stone and marble clean but don’t want to risk damage. If this sounds familiar, check out this product from Marblelife.
As you probably guessed from the name, this mold and mildew remover is specially formulated to remove stains from slate, marble, travertine, and other stone. It works so well that it’s supported by the World’s Leading Stone Service Company.
This product is also safe and effective on bathroom tile and grout, penetrating deep to remove stains at the source. It’s eight times more effective than bleach alone and has a much lighter scent. Best of all, it comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
8. Spray & Forget Revolutionary Roof Cleaner Concentrate
This is a great choice if you want something that is specifically designed to treat your roof. It’s a concentrated formula perfect for outdoor surfaces. This one-gallon bottle makes up to 10 gallons of cleaner and cleans up to 2,000 square feet.
You do not want to worry about scrubbing or power washing your roof which is one reason that this formula is such a good choice. You don’t even have to rinse it! Just spray it on using a garden hose sprayer and wait for Mother Nature to rinse it away naturally.
There are no acids, heavy metals, bleaches, lye, or phosphates in this formula so it’s safe to use on all outdoor surfaces. Though this product does take a few months to work, it is really effective on those hard to reach areas like roofs, shutters, decks, and more.
9. Star Brite Mildew Stain Blocker
This stain blocker from Star Brite offers you a different way to get rid of mold and mildew stains. Instead of killing growth after it appears, this product treats surfaces to stop stains from forming in the first place.
Application is simple, just use the spray bottle to apply the formula to the areas that need to be treated. One application lasts for up to three months. It’s safe for vinyl, rubber, plastic, paint, and fabric plus it’s non-toxic and safe to use around kids and pets.
How does it work? The nano-tech barrier forms a micro-shield over the surface, blocking mold and mildew growth. If you have existing stains, you’ll have to clean them with another product first. Then, apply this product to keep them from coming back.
10. X-14 Professional Instant Mildew Stain Remover
Another great product is X-14. This professional mildew stain remover works fast and can be used on tile, vinyl, sealed grout, and plastic surfaces. The best part? No scrubbing. Just spray it on, give it time to do its magic, then rinse away.
This product gives your surfaces a deep clean that lasts for up to two weeks. You can use it indoors in your kitchen and bathroom or outside to clean and protect your outdoor furniture, fences, boats, decks, and more.
The convenient spray bottle is easy to use and makes it easy to get a precise application. Make sure that the area has good ventilation and allow it to sit for a few hours to really soak in and get the job done.
14 Tips For Removing Mold and Mildew
Eliminating mold and mildew for good may take some work. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to get you started down the right path.
1. Make sure you don’t have any plumbing leaks. Some mildew and mold are expected in the bathroom and kitchen because these rooms are naturally more humid. But if you have a big mold and mildew problem and aren’t sure why, a leak may be the culprit.
2. Don’t ignore it. As soon as you see mold and mildew growth, apply one of these removers to take care of it. Be sure you find the source of the moisture. It might just be from the moisture caused by showering or cooking. Or, it might not be.
3. If you notice mold on an exterior ceiling or wall, make sure there isn’t any leaking. Look closely at vents, decks, window wells, anywhere moisture can collect.
4. Mold and mildew on interior walls that aren’t in a moist area like the kitchen or bathroom can indicate a serious problem. Check the ductwork and make sure that the insulation isn’t infested with mold.
5. If you’re cleaning mold and mildew off of a hard surface, like towel, wood, or grout, apply the product and allow it to sit as long as necessary. It may take hours to completely clean up because it often penetrates deep into the surface.
6. Upholstery is a little more complicated. Because it is so porous, there’s a good chance that the mold and mildew have infiltrated the inside of the cushions. In that case, there really isn’t anything you can do and the piece will have to be thrown away.
7. If your upholstery only has a small stain or spot, apply a mold and mildew remover approved for fabric and let it sit. It should only take a minute or so. Then, wipe clean with a damp cloth and use a dry cotton towel to dry.
8. Don’t use a formula for outdoor use on indoor mold. While you might think it would be insanely effective, there’s a reason that it’s not supposed to be used inside. Often this is because of the strong smell and lack of proper ventilation.
9. Getting mold and mildew out of carpeting can be very difficult. If there’s only a small spot, you can apply a remover, let it sit, then wipe clean. Chances are the mold will spread so if you may need to hire a professional crew to steam clean and really treat a large area.
10. Leather is a pretty easy surface to clean as long as the problem is caught early. Use a mold and mildew remover for fabrics and wipe clean. Apply a leather protectant when finished.
11. Although it varies from one product to the next, read the instructions carefully to find out what type of protection you should be using when you apply the mold and mildew remover. Some are quite strong and require gloves and a face mask.
12. Take mold and mildew removal seriously. If it comes back repeatedly, consider having a professional inspect the area to make sure there aren’t any major problems with leaking or drainage that need to be taken care of.
13. After you’ve cleaned the surfaces, keep an eye on them to make sure the mold and mildew don’t return. If it does, re-treat and try to find the root of the problem.
14. Remember, mold and mildew can be a simple side effect of a humid bathroom or kitchen. In this case, it’s pretty easy to take care of. It the problem is more widespread, it might be a bit more complicated.
Cleaning mold and mildew can be tricky but using the best mold and mildew cleaner makes the job a little easier. If you’re experiencing mold and mildew in your shower, bathroom, kitchen, or basement, a simple application of the right formula is all you need to take care of it.
That said, mold and mildew can be a sign of a bigger problem. If you notice mold and mildew on exterior walls or interior walls and ceilings and there’s no reason that area should contain any moisture, it’s best to take care of the problem right away.
Sometimes, the solution is simple. Other times, it may be an extensive process to eliminate mold and mildew for good. These cleaners are great for everyday home application and they can help with bigger jobs, too.
Remember, cleaning mold and mildew is important but finding out what’s causing it is essential to stop the growth in the future. Sometimes, it really is as simple as “the bathroom is humid and moist because we take showers in there all the time”. Other times, it’s more complicated.
Not that black mold can cause some significant health problems, particularly if you have an allergy or sensitivity. If the problem is widespread and you or your family members are having health problems, it’s best to call a professional.