When it comes to keeping fish in the aquarium, feeding is always part of the maintenance, making sure that your fish can actually have the right nutrients needed for them to survive. Sometimes you might get people just feeding the fish with any fish food. That should not be the case as different types of fish will have different requirements most of the time. In this case, we get to look at the Betta fish. This type of fish comes with some good news as it can feed on various varieties of food. You still have to know these types of food, how often to feed it and what not to feed it.
How much to feed a betta fish?
Feeding the betta fish is crucial, but you have to observe the amount. You would not want a lot of your fish food going to waste. Make sure to only feed it with enough food it can finish within 2 minutes. Do not be surprised as that just how much time it will take the betta fish to finish eating. The remaining food in the aquarium will simply go to waste. This food will now settle at the bottom of your aquarium and end up rotting in the process. You can imagine the amount of pollution this could cause in the aquarium.
With so much food settling at the bottom, you may have to clean the aquarium more often to remove the remnants. The pollution caused by the remaining food could easily make the fish be sick.
Sometimes you might get some betta fish eating more than 2 minutes. If you see such a behavior, it means your fish is getting fat. Yes, do not be surprised as the fish could actually get fatter with time. Check around the belly area to see if it has a bulge. With the bulge present, then your fish is definitely overweight.
For those using pellets to feed the fish, simply use 3 pellets at any feeding time to eliminate the wastage of food.
How often do you feed a betta fish?
Most of the time you will buy an adult betta fish from the pet store. For such type of fish, simply feed it twice per day. Giving it more food each day would not help a lot as it would just go to waste as indicated earlier. You might get the label on the fish food stating that you should feed it more often, but in reality, we know it is all a gimmick to get you coming back to buy more fish food.
If you end up with a younger betta fish, the feeding is still the same, twice per day. The fish is also just like humans, skipping a meal once in a while not bad. Whenever you skip giving the fish its food, it can help with making its digestive system to have a break. You can imagine the fish only eats in two minutes and that is it. It goes further to show that is has a small digestive system.
A break from feeding also helps the fish to get rid of the toxins from its body before the next meal comes in. You can feed it only once, or skip for a day and then get back to the routine.
What to feed a betta fish?
The another name of betta fish is Siamese Fighting fish. The reason is that this fish will attack other types of fish in the aquarium if it sees them as a threat. With such a carnivore behavior, it is easy to conclude that the fish likes to feed on some proteins. Below are some of the best food types to feed your betta fish.
- Frozen food such as bloodworms – if you are in a position to get brine shrimp or bloodworms, then it is possible to have them frozen so that the fish can feed on them later on. You will simply have to unfreeze them in small batches before you can now feed to the fish. As much as they can be expensive, this food type comes with a lot of energy for the fish.
- Using live food – the live food in this case could be the bloodworms. You should be able to feed them directly to the fish so that it can enjoy some new proteins. Just make sure that you feed them the right amount.
- Feeding the fish with fish flakes – this could be the least expensive food you will ever have to buy for your betta fish. You can feed them with this food and watch their reaction first before you can keep using the same food. Some reports have shown that the betta fish do not always like the fish flakes.
- Use betta fish pellets – it is not just any type of fish pellets, they have to be specifically made for betta fish. It should be easy for you to find such type of food in most pet stores. Most people use it as the staple food for the betta fish, and it actually works quite great. One quick thing to note is that the pellets are quite large, so they would sink faster, thus not suitable for the smaller fish.
- Freeze dried foods – such food for betta would be easily seen as a treed for your fish in the aquarium. From statistics, the betta fish often love to eat such type of food. You will really see them eating more of this food type than the others.
You should always keep in mind the type of food you feed the betta fish or any other type of fish. For the betta fish, it is easy to note that the fish flakes are not its favorite food, so taking the time to choose other food types should serve you well. Research more about the fish food before you can actually settle for it. Some might not always offer the best nutrients. Food with a lot of filler content is not worth giving to your fish.
Looking for best betta fish tanks: