Cleaning your fish tank is inevitable. It is crucial that you get to clean it well so that you do not experience issues with the health of your fish. Also, a clean aquarium will always have clean and clear water, which is quite attractive.
The best hang on back filters for aquarium have gained popularity over the years. Many people are now using them as they help deliver the best performance and the installation is easy. From the name, we get that the installation process is just clipping the filter on the back of the aquarium and all is done.
Table of Contents
- Best Hang On Back Filter for the Money
- Best Hang On Back Filters Reviews
- Hang on back filter FAQ
The flow rate
The flow rate would often be the decider if the user would want a model or not. Depending on the aquarium size, you would often want a model that can deliver on your needs for a great filter. It is crucial to get a model that delivers a higher flow rate so that the filtration can take less time.
The filtration media used for the whole filtration process in removing the impurities from the water. The more the filtration media might not always mean the best filtration, but the type is what is important. Even if a model has more filtration media, make sure that it has the best media only. No need to have filters which might not help with the filtration at all.
Maintenance of the filter
Cleaning and maintenance are inevitable in any filter. What matters now is the amount of time and effort you will have to spend to handle the maintenance. Different models might have varied methods and instructions for cleaning. Always choose a model that will be easy to clean and maintain.
In order to try to impress the customers, most manufacturers would try to include new technology in the filters. The new technology would now enhance the functionality of the filter and make it more efficient than the comparable models. You can always take the time to check out what is different with the model before you can buy it.
Not all brands will always deliver the best type of filtration mechanism that many people need today. Some are known to be better in the filtration industry than the others do. You should be looking in the line of brands such as Fluval, AquaClear, Aqueon, and much more. You could read reviews about a model as a way of helping you understand more of what you will be getting with such a model.
Best Hang On Back Filter for the Money
|AquaClear Power Filter - 110 V||Up to 110 gallons|
|Fluval C Power Filter||Up to 70 gallons|
|Marineland Penguin Power Filter||Up to 70 gallons|
|Marineland Emperor 400 Pro Series Bio-wheel Power Filter||Up to 80 gallons|
|Aqueon Quietflow 50 Filter||Up to 50 gallons|
Fresh or Saltwater Aquariums
Best Hang On Back Filters Reviews
1. AquaClear Power Filter – 110 V
The model represents a company, which has been making the best hang on back aquarium filters for a while now. The model is designed to be highly versatile so that it can meet the needs of various users in the same field. For its series, you get up to five models that can deliver different flow rates. It means that you simply have to choose the one you feel works for you great.
The unique design incorporated into the model gives it an impressive filtration capacity compared to other models in its category. The use of the flow control technique, it helps to reduce the effect of the flow so that you end up not harming the motors or impellers. The model still comes with a re-circulation grid that allows water to be passed again through the filter to ensure that the water quality emerging at the end is great.
The design of the multistage filtration process is crucial to the beneficial bacteria needed for the aquarium. You will no longer have to worry about the sudden beneficial bacteria depletion. This should ensure that the biological filtration of the filter would remain optimal at all times.
- It is easy for quick installation
- The volume of filtration offered is up to 7 times larger
- Its design keeps the biological filtration optimal always
- It has a reduced flow pressure to eliminate harm on the motor and impeller
- It has a grinding sound when being operated
- It is not easy to clean as you might just end up breaking it
2. Fluval C Power Filter
A filtration system coming from Fluval is always quite an assurance that there is nothing disappointing about it. As for this model, it is engineered to have superior features that help improve the quality of water coming out of it. With the 5-stage filtration process, what you can expect is always impressive work in the end. The filter on overall has a larger surface area so that you get impressive filtration process.
For those who have delicate fish in their aquariums, the use of the re-filtration system in this model could be just what you need. With the re-filtration system, you now get to control the water flow rate.This controlling of the flow will not in any way affect the water filtration efficiency. When controlling the water, you can now have it processed again in the filtration chamber multiple times. With such a method, you get to filter more impurities, leaving you with a healthy tank.
Of course, you might have to clean the filter to keep it working properly. The cleaning process should be easy if you have used one of these before. It is recommended that you clean the impeller cover at least once a year and the motor every three months. Make sure to follow the instructions as given in the manual to get the job done faster.
- You will get an impressive water flow
- It comes with a five stage filtration media for better performance
- The bio media included in the model is easy to clean
- The re-filtration system helps with increased water cleaning efficiency
- The foam pads included requires replacing them every few months
- The crevices in the impeller sometimes make it hard to clean it
3. Marineland Penguin Power Filter
Sometimes you might decide to buy an aquarium water filter and it is not just for you since you are a beginner. With the Marineland Penguin power filter, you should be in a position to handle it as a beginner. It is the same thing for those who love using the filter as hobbyists too.
The model comes in four different sizes. These sizes are varied to help you choose the one that would be perfect for your aquarium. The model on overall is used in doing superior jobs thanks to the bio load included in it. The leftovers from the fish food and other organic matter will easily disappear in no time thanks to the reputable cartridges. In the end, you will always end up creating the best and clean environment for the aquarium life.
The model comes with an easy and efficient 3-step filtration process. The system comes with all the three important filtration media. This includes mechanical, chemical, and biological. The bio wheel found in this model will give you the beneficial bacteria important for the whole filtration process. The tank will now be free from the toxic nitrates and ammonia.
- The filter delivers a powerful performance that most people would want
- It comes with an amazing durable construction
- It does have a long operating lifespan
- The biofiltration media is excellent
- The bio wheel feels fragile
- The filter needs regular cleaning than comparable models
4. Marineland Emperor 400 Pro Series Bio-wheel Power Filter – Up to 80 gallons
The model is quite a powerhouse when it comes to the whole process of aquarium water filtration. It has the capability to handle a flow rate of 400 GPH and is still suitable for an 80-gallon aquarium. That for sure makes it look better in terms of service delivery. The inclusion of the bio wheel is important in terms of delivering water free from any harmful material that could affect the fish and make it sick.
The mount of noise coming from an aquarium filter is something that many people would want to know for sure before buying a model. This model comes with low a noise operation. It is quite quiet so that it does not disrupt the fish in the aquarium tank.
You still get a revolutionary two-pump design with the model. It simply means that the flow and filtration rate of the model becomes unmatched. There is no doubt that you will always end up with the best model that works great for your case. The two-pump design is now what makes the model to deliver more water per hour in terms of gallons. You can be able to filter more water now in a less time.
- You get two bio-wheels that offer impressive biological filtration
- The high flow rate is what most people need today for the bigger aquariums
- It is made to be highly durable and efficient
- The model is quiet when operating
- The spray bars often get clogged with debris thus preventing the bio-wheels from spinning
5. Aqueon Quietflow 50 Filter
The filtration process is supposed to be better, well, that is what you get when choosing this model. It offers you a four-stage filtration process that will always deliver clean and clear aquarium water. These filtration stages will include passing the aquarium water through mechanical, biological, chemical, and wet/dry diffuser grid.
With the high flow rates, you can always be sure that the dissolved oxygen will get to the fish in no time. This leads to having a healthier and active fish. The model is also designed to have an internal pump design. What this pump does is to dampen the noise of operation, eliminate the cases of leaks, and still start automatically in case of a power interruption.
- Can be used for both fresh and saltwater aquariums
- It comes with four-stage filtration system for better performance
- It has a higher flow rate to ensure more oxygen is dissolved and delivered to the fish
- The internal pump available will help dampen the noise
- It does not have the best durability as the materials are cheaply made
Hang on back filter FAQ
What’s the best hang on back filter for saltwater?
You could opt for the Aqueon Quietflow 50 filter model. It is designed to be multifunction, thus can be used in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. With a four-stage filtration system, it should be able to handle your saltwater aquarium needs.
How to set up hang on back filter?
When you buy a hang on back filter, the manufacturer will often send you all the parts needs to assemble it. Mostly you get to start by assembling the filtration material. You can start with the bio wheels, and proceed to the others. Make sure you follow the manufacturer information on the sequence of setting up the filtration media.
The next step would be now installing the intake sump so that it can now suck the water and deliver it to the filtration media. Mount your filter on the back of the aquarium and get ready to turn it on. Before you can turn it on, mostly you will have to fill it with water first. This helps avoid the grinding sound of a dry filter. After filling it with water, you should be ready to turn it on and leave it to do the filtration.
How to clean hang on back filter?
Cleaning the hang on back filter could be easy or hard depending on the model. However, there are some common methods you may have to follow for all the models. Here is how you do it.
- Start by unplugging the filter so that you can easily remove it from the back of the aquarium
- Proceed to remove the top lid and now take out the filter basket. This is where your filter media is located. You are likely to find a sponge, biological media as beads, and carbon bag.
- Clean the beads and the sponge in the old aquarium water in a bucket. This should help preserve the materials and make it easier for water filtration the next time.
- For the carbon bag, most manufacturers would recommend that you change it about every 3 weeks.
- Check the other parts such as the motor and impeller. Clean them as specified or make replacements whenever necessary. As for the motor, ensure to add a lubricant to keep it working smoothly.
- Proceed to reassemble the filter and hang it on the aquarium again for filtration to continue.
There is no reason why your fish should be suffocating when there is a chance to give them a healthy option today. All the hang on back filters mentioned above will deliver the right amount of filtration to keep the aquarium water clean. You need to make sure that you choose the one that can handle your aquarium size and the amount of water in terms of flow rate. The best thing to do would be comparing between different models just to make sure it is what you actually need in the end.